Sunday 3 April 2022

Mother of Lolita, how my daughters embrace of her own look made me examine mine

 My adult daughter lives with me and her younger sister in a small London flat.  We are not rich in money, but what we are more than rich in is personal expression.  As a girl with Autism, she has never followed the trends blindly, preferring to carve out her own interests and style and that style is the Lolita style.

Lolita originates from Japan and as a base, relies on cute pastel colours, ruffles, bows and ribbons, often short dresses, showing long socks and petticoats and bloomers underneath.

kawaii girl gothic lolita op cos Chinese style sweet lolita dress vintage  lace bowknot cute printing high waist victorian dress|Lolita Dresses| -  AliExpress  Lolita as a fashion being reminiscent of the China Dolls of little Edwardian girls is therefore unlike other subcultures like Goth and Vintage, it not at all been sexualised and in my humble opinion, that makes it pretty feminist.  

Watching her, in her 6ft frame, wearing what she wants, including often the shortest of short skirt, paired with ruffled black short bloomers to protect her modesty (well, if she listened to her dear mama, her skirts might be a tad bit longer but girls will be girls)  I admire her boldness and it has certainly inspired me to waste no time in wardrobe transitioning  and quickly getting rid of the (admittedly few) modern items I have.  Since the pandemic began, I have been slowly building up a vintage and historical wardrobe, I feel so much more at peace now dressing how I have always wanted to dress, I am unconcerned about appearing sexy (though, of course I naturally am! 😉)  and instead want to feel good in my presentation to the world, I want to be my own unique me and not follow the herd. 



No comments:

Post a Comment