Tuesday 7 December 2010

My costume experience

My first re-enacting experiences I portrayed a working woman during Restoration times, my costume was very simple, a wool bodice and skirt over chemise and stays and of course, period appropriate stockings and shoes.
Working women clothing pretty much stayed the same for hundreds of year with little variation so I used the same costume for re-enacting the Georgian time period also.
I also made a silk Georgian banqueting dress, which I wore for the annual Georgian Bath ball.

Later, I would make a more complex Regency style gown from La’ Mode Bagatelle Regency wardrobe that I used for Napoleonic re-enacting, I made a travel working dress in brown linen (won’t show the dirt will it?) and I boned petticoat in blue linen.

Victorian costume I made was a (very badly constructed) corset, hooped petticoat, early period bodices, fancy silk bustle skirt and over skirt, tartan skirt for hoop dress and very late period navy poplin travelling outfit.

I have quite a few antique pieces and vintage accessories also but I don’t tend to wear them.

So, I am pretty excited about doing something that isn’t a different time period but a totally different style.  Artistic reform was worn by the wives (Elizabeth Siddal) and models of the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood and later Arts and Crafts aficionados’ like Jane Morris, William Morris’s wife and PRB Model.
They were not fans of the restrictive corsetry and frippery of the clothing at the time.  Having worn such clothing myself I can attest to its restriction, which actually looks very nice but it is difficult to be active and relaxed whilst wearing such clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment