Tuesday 31 December 2013

Gearing up ...for my New Years Challenge

Gearing up for the recipe challenge, which will start on New Years Day....I have changed the date several times, mostly for practical reasons like getting rid of more modern foods and like today, babysitting and having to make a Dhal (I don't think Pataks Curry paste was available in 1940!).

In common with rationing.

1) Bread was not rationed so I will likewise eat bread.
2) Dairy and proteins were, so I will stick to the allowed amounts of oil, butter, milk, cheese and eggs. Meat was also rationed but as a vegetarian, who cares?

These were:

Butter 50g
Cheese 50g (sometimes rising to more 100g or even 225g) for the purpose of this week I will stick to the norm.
Margarine 100g
Cooking fat 100g ( I will replace with oil for obvious reasons)
Eggs 1 shell egg (or one packet of dried egg a month
Milk 3 pints per week or one packet of 'Household' i.e. dried milk a month
Sugar 225g
Tea 50g (I will buy green, but otherwise will stick to allocated amount)
Preserves (aka Jam) 450g every 2 months
Sweets  350g every month

Surprisingly, I have just read that nursing mothers got concentrated orange juice....I wasn't expecting that, but it is an added bonus (just in case you were wondering, the baby will eat her normal food unless I make something suitable for her her).
Not in common with rationing

3) My vegetables will come courtesy of the Organic Delivery Company.

My delivery comes on Tuesday which is why I need to start after that particular day.  You never know exactly what you will get so I can't really write up all my recipes beforehand.

4) I will add a couple of tinned fruit to my weekly shop as that is more in keeping with what was available.

5) Most breakfasts will be porridge or bread/toast, it is obvious true but there wasn't much else back then.

6) One can eat out, I may do that if I get desperate or if I am asked. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment