Saturday 4 January 2014

Friday - Peace

Yay!!!!  I got my new phone to work!  Normal pictures can resume


Breakfast

Porridge

Finally, today I discovered how bloomin HUGE the sugar ration is...blimey who would have thunk it guv?  But then I thought wait a sec, if I has in the habit of, several cups of tea a day, each having a teaspoon full of sugar, over the course of a week, than suddenly the ration doesn't look so huge.

But for my modern eyes, who drinks tea and coffee without, it looks very generous and gives me plenty of sugar for any baking....but only if I have enough fat for them!

Lunch

As has been the case this week I am missing the occassional meal because the days are so short and I have been waking up so late, so instead I had an early dinner.


Dinner

Yesterdays leftover piece of Woolton pie, more sauteed savoy cabbage, a little bread
and

Cheese beans

Finished plate, cheese beans on the right side of plate
 1/2lb dried beans soaked overnight ( I used cannalini but you can use almost any medium sized bean, needless to say, this day and age we know better than to boil beans in their soaking water but back then they treated beans like Vegetables and assumed you were keeping the goodness, now we know we are just getting rid of some nasty  oligosaccharides, so I am going to dispense with Ms. Patten's wisdom and say, throw out the soaking water and use fresh water to boil.) Boil until tender.

2oz grated cheese
1tbs Vinegar
1/2tsp mustard
1 -2 tbs mint and parsley chopped together (I used a small amount of dried herbs instead)
2tsp Worcester sauce (I have looked everywhere for Worcester sauce without anchovies, however I can't find any and so, in great Make Do tradition, I used a bit of garlic sauce instead)

Drain beans but keep a bit of bean water, add all ingredients (except herbs) to pot with the bit of bean water and stir until cheese has melted, add drained beans and toss, top with chopped herbs.

Taste

I realise that with using the garlic sauce instead of Worcester sauce the taste would probably be a lot different to what Ms Patten created, however that is not to say the taste was bad, on the contrary, they were very nice, the only problem I had is, I used much less than 1/2lb beans but followed the recipe otherwise, this meant my sauce was plentiful enough but I couldn't taste the cheese at all, could it have been the stronger taste of the garlic sauce?  Probably, but Worcester sauce has a strong taste too and I would fancy making the sauce again without the two ounce limit to see if it really made a difference.



Afters

Rolled oat Macaroons



Oatmeal biscuits, they did not spread as per the recipe, probably because of the less fat I used















3oz Margarine (replaced with a bit of oil)
2oz Sugar
1/2-1tsp almond essence (didn't have, omitted)
1tbs golden syrup (didn't have, replaced with honey)
4oz self raising flour
 4oz rolled oats
Milk to mix

Mix dry ingredients together, than margarine, syrup and essensce to make a crumble (oooh gives me ideas...) consistency.  Add enough milk for mixture to bind together, form balls and bake in moderate oven for 15-20 minutes.

Taste

Ok, I know there were a lot of replacements in this biscuit recipe, regardless they were lovely and I am sure would taste even better with the required about of fat and essence.

Drinks

A note about drinks,  I read this interesting historical tidbit on Wikipedia


During the Second World War, other fruits rich in vitamin C, like oranges (from Florida), became almost impossible to obtain in the United Kingdom, due to the U boat campaign. Blackcurrant cultivation was encouraged by the Government, and the yield of the nation's crop increased significantly. From 1942, almost the entire British blackcurrant crop was made into blackcurrant syrup (or cordial), almost all of it manufactured by Carters, and distributed to the nation's children for free without the Ribena brand name, giving rise to the lasting popularity of blackcurrant flavourings in Britain.
 Reason enough to keep on drinking my blackcurrant squash then!

No comments:

Post a Comment