Thursday 2 January 2014

Walking out as a wartime mum

Today I went out to the library and shopping with my sister, perfectly appropriate wartime activities and I stuck to my guns only eating the kind of food that would have been available/fashionable at the time, this meant at Lunch I said hello Cheese Ploughmans and goodbye Halloumi and falafal wraps.

I had a slice of naughty carrot cake and lashings of ginger beer.....

Shopping was an interesting experience in near period appropriate frustration as I couldn't find any dried egg or egg substitute anywhere....brought some dried herbs and mustard powder and my second pint of milk, I am painfully aware that there is only one more pint available after it, luckily I don't take milk or sugar in my tea.  Have used none of my sugar ration yet.


Dinner

The famous (infamous) Woolton Pie

Dice and cook about 1lb each of the following in salted water potato, swede, carrot, cauliflower (or whatever winter veg you have available) strain and keep back some of the vegetable water mix vegetable water with a bit of vegetable extract (I used stock) and add oatmeal (in true make do fashion I am using flour due to lack of oatmeal) to thicken. Pour gravy over vegetables in a casserole dish.
Top with mashed potato and bake until golden, serve with brown gravy.

I am serving mine with a side of sautéed savoy cabbage.


No comments:

Post a Comment