Saturday 6 September 2014

Were we happier in the Stone Age?

One of my historical minded friends forwarded this article on Facebook.  Here is a quote:


Romantics never tire of finding the dark side of every discovery. Writing gave rise to extortionate taxation. Printing begot mass propaganda and brainwashing. Computers turn us into zombies. The harshest criticism of all is reserved for the unholy trinity of industrialism, capitalism and consumerism. These three bugbears have alienated people from their natural surroundings, from their human communities, and even from their daily activities. The factory worker is nothing but a mechanical cog, a slave to the requirements of machines and the interests of money. The middle class may enjoy better working conditions and many material comforts, but it pays for them dearly with social disintegration and spiritual emptiness. From a romantic perspective, the lives of medieval peasants were preferable to those of modern factory-hands and office clerks, and the lives of stone-age foragers were the best of all.

 Ermmm, yeah, that is exactly how I see it.  Of course I don't totally romanticise the past, as a woman, especially one of colour, almost any time period in the last few years would have been a hardship for me.  I enjoy the freedoms of the modern age but the fact that I DO enjoy them, is only because I live in the West and I am relating my experience in the modern West.  Life is plenty different in other countries and I wouldn't have as much freedom as I enjoy in other countries.

No one really wants to reenact or dress like stone age woman.  Though I have to accept that it is probably the time period when people were at their healthiest and maybe even happiest.

The happiness levels of some of the remaining Hunter Gatherer communities is really much higher than in the West, it breaks my heart to see some of them give up their indigenous ways to follow the path of 'progress'.  The disaster that Imperialism wreaked on millions of peoples...well there just isn't enough restitution in the world.  But, well it happened, that is the dark side of the past and their is no use ruining our futures by dwelling on it.

The article presses on that there is a balance between the romantic view and the view of the progressives but then points out:

Even if we take into account solely the citizens of today's affluent societies, Romantics may point out that our comfort and security have their price. Homo sapiens evolved as a social animal, and our wellbeing is usually influenced by the quality of our relationships more than by our household amenities, the size of our bank accounts or even our health. Unfortunately, the immense improvement in material conditions that affluent westerners have enjoyed over the last century was coupled with the collapse of most intimate communities.

I realise this topic is far more in sync with what I usually post about on NN, how modern living has taken us (especially women) away from our much needed social support systems. This has been terrible for us.


True or false, the practical impact of such alternative views is minimal. For the capitalist juggernaut, happiness is pleasure. Full stop. With each passing year, our tolerance for unpleasant sensations decreases, whereas our craving for pleasant sensations increases. Both scientific research and economic activity are geared to that end, producing each year better painkillers, new ice-cream flavours, more comfortable mattresses, and more addictive games for our smartphones, so that we will not suffer a single boring moment while waiting for the bus.

The link between modern day expectations and happiness is a thoroughly interesting one.
In a world where we have access to 24hour news, social media and an idealogical wars, it is often easy to get overwhelmed by the negative aspects of modernity.  I have shed many tears crying over news items that broke my heart recently, I will spare you the details but I can honestly say that I was more encouraged than ever to avoid the modern world and descend further into neo-traditionalism. I might not be there yet and I don't think it is entirely healthy to avoid the world entirely, but I was sorely tempted.

I urge you all to read the article. Maybe if enough of us decide to forgo the march of 'progress' we will band together to make a more simple, but far happier world.

No comments:

Post a Comment