Thursday 11 January 2018

First day - disappointments and misery

No I didn't blog yesterday,  I was busy on one hand with the usual cyber drama's that occur when women are involved (oooh catty 😉 )  but also, the truth of the matter was it has taken all this time just to process why I was feeling particularly miserable at the start of a project that did not rely on me starving myself.


Let me explain,  my diet projects almost always relied on me trying to find a way to reconcile my personality, my appetite (yeah, I love food, sue me!) and my desire to have a healthy body.  However, despite 30+ years of vegetarianism and being mostly dairy free for one reason or another, my body stubbornly refuses to release fat as if it instinctively knows that we will enter a massive famine at any second.

So as well as being on conventional diets, juice fasts and the like, I have also been more creative and lean into different sides of my being as a way of not only with the aim of possibly losing inches, but just being more natural and healthy full stop, so.....the vintage lass in me has done the Rationing diet,  the Victorian neo-traditionalist has eaten only from Mrs. Beetons and I have even leaned into my spirituality by eating a more Mediterranean diet  and my obsession with Tolkein-ite Elves

Figwit Lives


 by eating what I see as a 'Elf diet'  but nothing really sticks because in the end, who wants to give up Baskin Robbins and Cadbury's Whole Nut forever?

And it is kosher....
 















So this is perhaps the first time I am not doing this for my body, but for the body we ALL live on, the earth and FML, it is HARD AF!  I can't tell you have restrictive this MF is........!!!!!!!!

I just walked into two supermarkets after the school run and left both of them empty handed because I either couldn't buy anything or needed to do more research, for example, is the foil around @presidentbrie is it paper or plasticised?

Note, it doesn't matter as it is not vegetarian.

I will need to go out again later but thought I best update about yesterday, and so....yeah yesterday started off with that major disappointment as I realised that the lovely Illy tin I raved about last post had a plastic lining in the lid and yes, although I technically brought it before the project started I was ever so crushed.  I still have the 'Source' coffee from Planet Organic to consider, which appears to be a heavy paper packaging, but honesty, you never know so I am not getting my hopes up.

So, the day started off badly and that just continued, I met my girlfriend for coffee at Pret a Manger which claims..


Which you wish would extend to what they use, because after requesting I have a coffee to 'sit in'  I was given the usual sort of plasticised paper cup with a plastic lid.  I told her I asked for a coffee to "sit in" and was told they don't do proper cups!!!!!!!  What the blinkety blink??

I made her remove the plastic lid and my friend and I had a nice chat but sad to say she was hardly supportive and told me 'What's the point, you can't change anything?'   Which is upsetting, I mean what is the point of any of us doing anything on principle then? 
She took the cups and chucked them in a bin, the cardboard too,  I don't know why, but that has been making me angry all day, this mindless throwaway culture.  But of course I didn't say anything, because...I am weird enough, because, she wouldn't understand, because I was once like that, because, because, because.......she is right, nothing will change, how many of those pointless plastic lids are thrown in the bin every....single....day?

So we went our separate ways and I went to shop, first at Planet Organic to get that Ghee (£3.50) then to Tesco to get dinner and then to Holland and Barretts where I got a mix of dried fruit and nuts self selection with a paper bag packaging ,and a jar of chocolate spread.  H&B's shopping bags are also paper which is great,  but alas, outside of the jars, tins and bottles, H&B is awash in plastic, from all the food and snack items to ALL the vitamins they sell (FWIW, Solgar brand appears to be glass with a metal lid, but they seal it all in plastic so #pointless)





So in the end I got a rather Anglo Germanic meal planned as it was sausages, mash and Sauerkraut, which I love btw but rarely buy because the jars of Sauerkraut are just so big but this week, I am going to knock myself out with the stuff!!!



Also, to the back of the picture here we can see Linda McCartney sausages, the company has an ethical packaging policy and when you open up that box, all that comes out are six well formed soya sausages.....lovely!

Going back to a cordial after so long of having sparkling flavoured water is hard, I keep thinking of those extra calories but since I don't like drinking plain tap water, I had to get a drink and as we know, tea is still dicey. 

So, I spent £3.50 Planet Organic, £7 Tescos and £7 H&B (because of that ridiculous pick and mix)

£17,50 in total, which is not sustainable as far as I am concerned.

Roll on today's wonders....



Just remembered that Boursin has foil packaging inside the cardboard.........RESULT!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment